Thursday, October 27, 2016

Favorite Python Packages 01 - Making a chatbot

I had to write a logging handler for work that pushed errors up to HipChat. Turns out the process was so easy, I could not resist adding a chat-handler to ProsperCommon (esp given my hacky email handler). Despite my love for Slack, Discord became the tool-of-choice because it’s easy to stand-up/tear-down chats with a lot of flexibility. I also skipped Slack for now because the tweetfleet server blows past the 10k message buffer on a daily basis.

So, let's cook up a chatbot! Discord's API offerings are dizzying; this should be easy!

Discord.py - Making Chatbots Easy

Since Discord relies on an oAuth2 connection, and chats are inherently asynchronous, cooking up a bot from scratch would hurt. Discord.py to the rescue! This library has exceptional API coverage and is easy to use.

My one gripe is the documentation. Docs are sparse in places, but I'll forgive that sin with their example code and an active community on the Discord API Guild. Also, I had some trouble getting off the ground with the Discord API docs. Specifically, getting the correct tokens required to work, but once the bot was authenticated, it was off to the races!


TinyDB - The Easy Object-store

Pinging the internet for data is not free; whether because of rate limits or round trip times. Tools like SQLite are great for lightweight/portable data storage, but also requires schema design. MongoDB is a powerful noSQL solution, but is heavy to stand up (and I'm not in love with the query language). TinyDB comes to the rescue as a way to get the JSON/noSQL storage of MongoDB with none of the server/auth standup.

This shines when paired with REST endpoints. It's easy to push/pop entries around and keep the same raw JSON in archive as what's coming from the endpoint. Also, it's as easy as JSON to add more keys for searching. I'm still not in love with my cache-timer implementation in ProsperBot, but fetching from cache is 100x faster than an internet-call. Lastly, debug is easy since output is raw JSON, though this could lead to compression issues down the line.


Quick pro-tip about TinyDB: get ujson. This pure-C implementation of the JSON library is a great drop-in replacement. It can also be baked into libraries like Requests. ujson makes handling JSON lightning fast! Also, TinyDB has a wide array of extensions, and I will be looking into MongoDB hooks at a future date.

NLTK - Processing Text Made Easy

The number one problem I have with stock quotes: it takes 2-3 extra clicks to figure out WHY the price moved for the day. Google/Yahoo/etc provide great single-stock pages that give news summaries, but when you open a ticker or phone widget, only the raw numbers are reported. If I'm going to make a quote bot, why not include some information and save people a search?

The good news, Google/Yahoo both give a by-ticker API of relevant news articles. The bad news, they yield 10-15 articles in the query. Furthermore, the data isn't particularly ranked/scored from the source. I could have gambled with first-article being the best, or stacked a publisher priority order, but all I wanted was:
Good news when the stock is up.  Bad news when the stock is down
NLTK to the rescue. I have wanted to try my hand at sentiment/language analysis since I saw a local talk on Analyzing P2P Lending Data. Putting headlines through the vader_lexicon tools did exactly what I wanted and was blazing fast.

After playing with this quick demo of NLTK, I'm excited to expand this toolset.  If I can find the time, I'd very much like to write up a new discord bot for grading a community and highlighting troublemakers statistically rather than bluntly using block lists and word black-lists.

Let's See It!


I'm going to save the "how to get [stock] data" question for another blog.  There's a wide world of API's and support out there, and digging into them is worth a whole blog.  For the impatient, I used these two articles as a springboard to get started:
Though designing the bot language may require some creative design for EVE topics, standing up the bot should be easy.  I've been able to add functions at a uniquely fast pace (0.5-1d/feature) and standing up the whole bot took just a few evenings once I got through the roadblocks.  The libraries above are excellent tools to have in your tool box, and I'm excited to dig deeper into their functionality beyond the small `hello world` functions written so far!

11 comments:

Marti said...

EvE Online PLEX are additionally used to buy things in New Eden Store, for example, Skill Extractors, Multiple Pilot Training endorsements, garments, deliver skins and that's just the beginning. Much the same as if there should arise an occurrence of Omega Time, all things in the store can be purchased as a blessing as long as you have enough EVE PLEX put away in the PLEX vault.

Anonymous said...

Hello, Everyone,I'm Adrik Vadim living in Kurgan City , I want to share with you all on here on how Mr Benjamin help me with a loan of 15,000.000.00 Rubles to start up my food beverage delivery after all I have work in several hotels here in kurgan just to earn a living but unfortunate I was still having difficulties to pay a rent but I thank God now that I'm a self employ now with 5 workers working in my care. Just if you looking for financial freedom I will advise you contact Mr Benjamin with this email below and whats app number as well. 247officedept@gmail.com   +1-989-394-3740

Anonymous said...

Hi friends i just want to use this opportunity to thank this great loan officer Mr Ben Lee who helped me with a loan i was very in need of $7,000,000.00 USD so i was introduce to Mr Ben Lee a loan officer so i contacted his email and i got the loan amount of $7,000,000.00 USD  i will advice anyone who is in need of a loan to contact email: 247officedept@gmail.com Or you can whatsapp his via  +1-989-394-3740.

eloisesmith said...


If you need a cheap and reliable EVE Echoes ISK, you can log in to the MMOWTS website to purchase.

eloisesmith said...

When players are in the Eve game, they need EVE Echoes ISK. So MMOWTS exists as a website that helps them a lot.

Ramesh Sampangi said...

If you're interested in getting a job in Python, look at the advanced Python training offered at Hyderabad from AI Patasala. Python Training in Hyderabad by trained experts at AI Patasala training center is the best option.
Python Course with Placements in Hyderabad

Anonymous said...

mmorpg oyunlar
İnstagram Takipci Satin Al
TİKTOK JETON HİLESİ
tiktok jeton hilesi
antalya saç ekimi
referans kimliği nedir
Takipci Satın Al
İnstagram Takipçi Satın Al
metin2 pvp serverlar
instagram takipçi satın al

Anonymous said...

fon perde modelleri
Mobil onay
VODAFONE MOBİL ÖDEME BOZDURMA
Nft nasıl alınır
ANKARA EVDEN EVE NAKLİYAT
trafik sigortası
Dedektör
Site kurmak
aşk kitapları

Anonymous said...

ümraniye alarko carrier klima servisi
üsküdar toshiba klima servisi
pendik daikin klima servisi
maltepe samsung klima servisi
kadıköy samsung klima servisi
tuzla mitsubishi klima servisi
çekmeköy vestel klima servisi
ataşehir vestel klima servisi
çekmeköy arçelik klima servisi

seo partners said...

شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام

شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالدوادمي

شركة كشف تسربات المياه بخيبر

شركة كشف تسربات المياه بينبع

شركة كشف تسربات المياه بمهد الذهب

Nevina Infotech said...

Interesting article and latest trends. For Chatbot Mobile app Development or Web App Development Python is great option to choose. Python web developmenthttps://www.nevinainfotech.com/python-development-service is popular for web development. Thank you for sharing and Keep sharing on latest technology.

Post a Comment